Three Month Countdown Till the Kinder Goats Arrive

by Angela aka Farmer Jane on February 4, 2013 · 12 comments

After visiting with Jan Hodges, breeder of Serena Kinder goats, we’ve decided that we’re doing it! We’re getting goats this spring.

Jan has 8 does that will kid in March, and she said the kids will be ready to leave by sometime in May. How exciting!

We got the tour of Jan’s farm, and after seeing how amazing her goats were, we were hooked. Simmi was very curious about them and did very well keeping her excitement and enthusiasm a little more contained than usual.

After seeing all the goats and her amazing Great Pyrenees dogs (we may get two dogs from her breeder as well) Jan let us sample some of her raw goat’s milk. Dom and I were in heaven! The milk was creamy, light and slightly sweet. The only time I’ve ever tasted goat’s milk was from a can that you get from the store, and I wasn’t too pleased with the texture or flavor of the milk…that is until now!

The milk had no after taste, nor did it taste off, strange, or weird in any way. In my book, this milk is superior to any fresh cow’s milk I ever drank.

Since we’ve decided to get goats this year, we’ll be shifting around projects that we planned. We wanted to get the Passive Solar Heating done, but we’re going to wait another few years to work on that project.

Jan said she’ll train me in how to care for the goats. I was thrilled about that, AND she said that we can bring our does back to her to breed them so we won’t have to get a buck. I’m not sure I’ll be ready to get a buck for a few years anyway.

I’ve spent the last three days rearranging my goals and schedule to make way for the great goat adventure. LOL Okay, so we’re only getting two goats to start with, but still, this is all new and exciting!

We’ve planned out the new goat run for them, and I’ve drawn up the plans for finishing the garage, overhang and landscaping.

I’ve also modified the ideas I had for our bedroom makeover since I need to cut the time a little short to make way for all the new work around the property.

It was a sacrifice on my part to decide not to create a pallet wall in our bedroom. I SO wanted to do that, but I feel that the extra time and energy could be utilized in other ways. I’ll still be painting, hanging shelves, fixing our furniture, and making a quilt for our bed, but pallets will need to wait a few years I think. My goal is to make our bedroom a personal sanctuary, and whether there’s pallets on the wall or not, I am fully capable of creating a relaxing environment for Dom and I to enjoy.

Today I finally repaired the rips in our blue wing back chairs. We got the matching chairs off of craigslist for $50.00, and the only thing really wrong with them other than being a little dirty, is that the cushion fabric is worn thin enough to fray and break apart. Eventually I’ll need to reupholster the chairs, but in the meantime, I was able to reinforce and repair the cushions.

The chairs are for our bedroom. I originally made plans of purchasing sheep skin to drape over each of the cushions, but since we need to spend money preparing for the goats, we needed to dip into my bedroom fund. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, and for the time being, I’ll be using rabbit fur until we can afford the sheep skin. That way I get my touch of nature (very important to my soul) on our two favorite pieces of furniture. I’ll also be adding lumbar pillows and arm rest covers to complete the look.

We have so much to do before May, and I only hope we can get it all done in a timely way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Melonie K. February 4, 2013 at 6:24 pm

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

Congratulations! :D

My Angora rabbits will be here in April – looks like we’ll both be adding to the family this spring/summer. WOOOOOHOO!

Angela aka Farmer Jane February 4, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Aww! We love our angoras but we’ll be saying goodbye to them sometime in the next few months.

Melonie K. February 6, 2013 at 11:02 am

AWW! That’s too bad. I didn’t realize that you were getting rid of some. Do you already have a home for them? If not, lmk what kind they are. I’ve got EAs coming – 1m, 1f, but they are retiring show bunnies who will be spayed/neutered. (We aren’t looking to breed, just for wool production.)

Angela aka Farmer Jane February 6, 2013 at 11:12 am

We go back and forth about getting rid of them because I’m attached to them. Every time I come to the decision to sell them, I change my mind right before putting the ad on craigslist. LOL I’m so weird sometimes. If I do end up committing to saying goodbye, I’ll give them to you if you’d like them. ;)

Melonie K. February 7, 2013 at 5:26 pm

That’s totally understandable! :D You’ll have to remind me which type of angora they are – my brain’s kinda fried these days. lol IF you decide that they need to go, do let me know. If I can’t take them for some strange reason, I know an alpaca lady who is looking at angoras as well. (She’s the breeder I’ll use when we are ready to dive into camelids…lovely lady and I’m sure they’d be well loved if I couldn’t come get them for some crazy reason.)

Bee Girl (AKA Melissa) February 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

Oh yes…this is very exciting! I can’t wait to hear about your adventures with goats!

Annette Knipfing February 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Wow !!! Thats exciting….how many will you be getting? And when. I’m sure Simmi will have so much fun with them. Great addition to your farm. Congrats !!

Angela aka Farmer Jane February 5, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Hi Mom,

We’ll be looking at sometime in May depending on when the kids are ready to leave their mama’s. We’ll only be getting two little does to start. :)

Angela aka Farmer Jane February 8, 2013 at 4:22 am

I actually don’t know what kind of angoras they are. We got them off of craigslist and since I’m not considering showing them, it didn’t matter to me.

I can’t wait to see your angoras when you get them AND some alpacas! They are so sweet…I want. LOL

Melonie K. February 8, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I realized afterward that you might have listed it in the animals section, but you hadn’t – now I get it. LOL

I would guess that doe #1 and Buck are probably English – doe #2 looks like she is English or maybe French? Does her wool grow out further on her face like the other two pics or has she stayed pretty clean-faced like she is in that picture?

Their breeds don’t really matter as much to me either, per se, since for now I’m looking for fiber as well. Mainly just curious. Did you ever end up breeding them? The two we’re getting to start our herd will not be bred – they are retiring show bunnies so the breeder is having them spayed/neutered.

It’s looking like mid-April for the bunnies to come home….I’ll take lots of pictures and post on FB! One of these days I should probably get my homesteading blog up and running again – we’ll see.

Alpacas…. they are so awesome. I don’t think we’ll have any before 2014 though – too much else going on on the property this year. Hoping maybe this time next year…. keep your fingers crossed for us! :D

Angela aka Farmer Jane February 11, 2013 at 8:24 am

They aren’t fixed so they can be bred if someone wanted to. :)

Melonie K. February 11, 2013 at 7:12 pm