I did modify it a bit however. Instead of sending the wick fabric through the neck, I capped it off and threaded the wick through two of the holes made near the top of the bottle.
The reason I decided to try the self watering method is due to my miserable failure to keep window herbs in the past.
I’ve had gorgeous specimens dry out and die on me way before their time. I’m just not up to being a slave to my plant’s watering schedule.
It seemed as though I’d water, they’d suck it all up, and a few hours later they’d be thirsty again and the soil would be near dry. Anyway, it just wasn’t working out the way I was doing it and it would only take weeks before I’d kill whatever was growing. I have houseplants that are going through the same problems.
Hopefully the self watering system will be a success! Here are more photos of our process:
I used an old T-shirt cut into strips for the wick
Making slits (holes aren’t necessary since it’s just for draining purposes)
21 were planted
As the herbs grow and spread out, I’ll separate them more and spread them onto the other shelves
It’s a good start! I’ll also be starting lettuces and purchase rosemary when it becomes available. The bottles won’t remain exposed either. I’ll be making six inch deep pallet wood boxes for them to sit in for each shelf.Stop by our farm site Luna Hill Heritage Farm to sign up for our CSA! www.LunaHill.org