Growing Celery From Discarded Bottoms

by Angela aka Farmer Jane on May 2, 2012 · 18 comments

Update: If you’re interested in also regrowing green onions, I’ve added a post about how we did it. Click here to see how!

Not too long ago after posting photos of our celery seedlings, a conversation was struck about growing celery.

A friend online told me of how I could grow celery from the stump of the discarded bottoms.

Intrigued by the amazing possibilities, I researched some links she gave me and last week started our own celery.

The photo to the left I took today. Its one week old and look at all that celery growing up.

I left my celery bottoms a little longer than others that are regrowing celery, and next I’ll be experimenting with shorter bottoms.

Half of the base is submerged in water, and when the celery has roots, you can plant it out in the garden.

How cool is that…right?!

Over this last week, the celery hasn’t been in direct sunlight, but instead just sat in the window.

I have two more packs of celery that I’ll be rooting also. If you’d like to try growing celery, I suggest you buy organic celery. Conventional grown celery has an insane amount of chemicals and pesticides in it.

Here are are a few more photos from the bottoms, and hopefully you’ll be able to see some of the new roots forming.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Christine Baker May 3, 2012 at 11:10 am

Too cool! Celery is not my favorite veggie, but we’re growing some for the first time and might sell some at our new farmstand. Will definitely try this method!

Angela aka Farmer Jane May 3, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Celery is indispensable in our house. All our homemade stock soups are made with celery as part of the ingredients.

Zhu January 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I love celery and buy quite a lot so I’m definitely going to give it a try. This is pretty cool! Hopefully the celery won’t realize that it is growing in Canada in the middle of the winter :lol:

Angela aka Farmer Jane January 12, 2013 at 6:56 am

Hi Zhu,

Let us know how yours turned out. The biggest thing we learned about regrowing celery was to change the water every other day, because if the water goes cloudy or yellow, the celery will start to rot and die.

dbmckinney April 9, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thanks for the tip on changing the water!

Emmy April 28, 2013 at 3:08 pm

This is so cool, we started today and I am hoping for the best (espcially in our lovely (!!) Michigan climate, which can’t decide whether it is mid winter or spring or something else!!!

ann marie April 30, 2013 at 8:04 pm

no more buying of celery seedling for me .that is soooo……… cool

Becca May 27, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I tried this a few months ago and the little stalks started to grow but then the whole thing died. I planted it directly into soil before the roots were developed maybe I’ll try to root it first then plant it… Thanks for the refresher.

Ashley November 10, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Can the celery be transplanted and grown in a pot?

Angela aka Farmer Jane November 12, 2013 at 8:05 am

Hi Ashley,

Yes, once the roots are established on the celery, it can be grown in a pot.

Susie Crisp January 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I have been growing onions (green onions) like this and also Romaine lettuce. I started about a week ago and change the water every day. I have well water. I have little onion tops growing and the center of the Romaine lettuce is growing as well. This is so cool. What a way to reproduce something that we would normally toss out! I have visions of having several of these growing in my window at a time and never having to buy any of these again.

Angela aka Farmer Jane January 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hi Susie,

Let me know how it goes! We have well water here and it doesn’t affect any of our plants, crops or animals. :)

Good Luck!

Carol February 21, 2014 at 5:44 am

Awesome! I am so giggly excited to get started!!

mark March 21, 2014 at 6:25 am

how do you know when theirs enough roots to plant it in the soil?

Angela aka Farmer Jane March 21, 2014 at 7:24 am

Hi Mark,

As the celery grows lots of stalks, it will also grow more roots. You can keep the celery in the container of fresh water (change water daily), and the celery will continue to grow. I would say that as soon as there lots roots about an inch or more on bottom, you could plant it.

mark March 21, 2014 at 2:18 pm

thanks! tried it once before a few years ago but I think I planted it to early.

Angela aka Farmer Jane March 21, 2014 at 5:04 pm

You’re welcome :)

Robbie July 4, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I did this and planted it in the garde I got a tall single stalk no bunch what did I do wrong