A Peek Around the Property

by Angela aka Farmer Jane on May 27, 2012 · 8 comments

I don’t think there is anything that brings more satisfaction than the first harvest of the growing season. Okay, well there is…

It’s seeing my lover’s face as he bites into the most amazing radish I’ve ever grown, and giving him the pleasure of tasting it first.

French Breakfast radishes have a creamy, delicious, mild radish taste. I pulled this beauty up this morning, and to watch Dom eat it, brought me absolute delight.

Here are a few photos of him tasting a French Breakfast radish for the first time:

He’s too cute!

And now a peek around the property:

Above is a strange plant that showed up and overwhelmed our blueberry bush. I’m cutting it down today and using stems a table arrangement. Its pretty, but I fear it will be invasive and overwhelm our fruit trees also.

This red pear tree was so tiny last year, and now it stands over 12 feet tall. The wind is kicking its ass, so we need to stake it.

Yesterday I picked the very first artichoke of the season. I can’t wait to taste it.

Elderberry and Jerusalem artichokes

The apricot tree is still holding on to that lone fruit on the branch

One of our Western Soapberry trees

The cutest little peach tree on the property, paired up with some globe mallow. :)

For a little perspective on how large the trees are, check it out…
With Dom’s shoes and “farmer Ted” hat, he stands over 6’7, and the plum tree which was barely 3 feet tall last year now towers above him. Too cool!

One of many French scalloped summer squash

My Shoshie Girl’s nectarine tree

More French squash

In this edible landscaped area is:

• Scarlet runner beans
  • Princess Rose Nectarine tree
  • Garlic
  • Nasturtium
  • 5 French scalloped summer squash
  • Tri-leaf sumac
  • Fire leaf shrubs

Almost all our grapevines made it. Six out of seven came back this year.

All of our fig trees made it. I didn’t think it would happen, but that’s the desert for ya. ;) The fig tree I worried most about was the Black Baca since its more than a few hundred years old and from New Mexico. Below are its leaves emerging from the roots:

At this time last year:

Globe artichokes, Armenian cucumbers were planted. Below is Gina’s pomegranate tree also planted at this time last year:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Bee Girl (AKA Melissa) May 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Oh man…everything looks so wonderful and is growing so fast! You’re way ahead of us, too! Our squash is just getting it’s first true leaves! Oh, and your artichoke?! That’s the kicker, no doubt! I always think we can’t grow it here, but maybe…just maybe we actually can…?

Hope you’re having a happy weekend!

Angela aka Farmer Jane May 30, 2012 at 7:41 am

You’ll be able to grow it up there, just keep it in a sunny location. Everything I’ve read about artichokes seems to indicate that it needs to be in partial shade. We did a trial of artichokes planted in different parts of the property. The ones that are thriving have full sun all day and are located on the east side of the property. The few we planted in the partial shade never thrived and finally died.

They are hungry for lots of food and water however. The slurp duck water up like poop soup.

Get a few Muscovies for eggs and fertilizer and everything will grow huge. :)

Melonie K. May 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Absolutely wonderful – love the height comparison of the tree too – gives me great perspective since I’m not good at estimating such things. :) Wishing you phenomenal harvests – especially of artichokes. YUM!

Angela aka Farmer Jane May 30, 2012 at 7:36 am

Hi Melonie,

I should do more comparisons since I too have a difficult time estimating things in photos.

Suburban Stone Age May 30, 2012 at 6:51 am

Loving your blog and looking forward to hearing more! I love the high desert and admire what you’re doing. Keep up the good work!

Rebecca Simpson
Suburban Stone Age

Angela aka Farmer Jane May 30, 2012 at 7:34 am

Thanks Rebecca…right back at’cha! ;)

I’d like to add you to our links page if that’s okay with you. Let me know.

Suburban Stone Age May 30, 2012 at 8:21 am

Hi! Sure, I’d love to be on your links page! :) I’ll do the same, we’re currently revamping my site but as soon as that feature goes live, you’ll be on it. Thanks so much!

Angela aka Farmer Jane May 30, 2012 at 8:26 am

Great! What category would you like to be listed under?